While we call it a captain’s license, it is really a Merchant Mariner Credential, with an Officer’s Endorsement.

When do I need this?

If you are working on federal waters, and are being paid for that work, you need your credentials. There are several different credentials with varying limitations. To determine the type of license you will need, you first need to determine where it will be used and how many passengers you will carry.

In a nutshell, these are the two types of captain’s licenses. However, both of these types of credentials are further broken down into one of three different routes, depending on your sea service (time on the water). These include Inland waters, Great Lakes waters, and Near Coastal waters.

  1. Inland OUPV route lets you carry up to 6 passengers on any federal waters that are not considered Great Lakes or on near coastal (ocean).
  2. The next level up is the Great Lakes route which includes all of the Great Lakes, plus all of the inland waters.
  3. The next one is the Near Coastal route, which includes all waters off the US coast out to 100 nautical miles, with the last level being ocean. It also covers the Great Lakes and Inland waters.

Sea Service Requirements:

To get either a Great Lakes or Near Coastal endorsement, you will need at least 90 days of the 360-day total to be in operation of a vessel on the Great Lakes or Near Coastal waters. This is a recent change in the law.

Tonnage Requirements:

There is now also a tonnage requirement for a Master. This goes from 25, 50, 100, 200, 500 and more gross tons. This is not based on the weight of the vessel, but rather, the volume. The vessel determines which license is required.

Each level has a sea service requirement which includes days on the vessel and tonnage. For example, for a 100-Ton Masters license you need at least 180 days on a vessel over 51 Tons or 360 days on a vessel over 34 Tons. It is best to look at the NMC check list for a specific tonnage.

If you have read this far into the article I have two tips for you.

  1. Under the pre-March 24, 2014 law change, you can get your 50-Ton Masters license with just one day on a vessel over 5 Tons. After January 1, 2019, you will need a minimum of 180 days on a vessel 17 GRT or more for the Inland/Great Lakes 50-Ton Master license.
  2. Until January 1, 2019 you can upgrade your oupv Great Lakes to near coastal with a 50 question rules exam by using pre March 24, 2014 Deck exams. Afterward it is a one day class and two exams.

I hope this was helpful. Check out our classes at Explorersguidellc.com


Capt. Gary Kulibert