Where Boaters Become Captains.


 We have course to meet your needs. Captains License 6-Pack, OUPV, Masters 100 Ton, Master Upgrade, OUPV to 200 Ton Mate, Assistance Towing, Auxiliary Sail, and Able Seaman

With our Captain's License classes, you can transform your passion for the water into an exciting on-the-water career. Explorer's Guide Maritime Academy offers USCG approved captains license courses for all mariners, whether you're new to the marine trade or a seasoned boater. We understand the adult learner and will work with you so that you successfully understand and complete the course material to get your credentials.

 All our courses are National Maritime Center approved. Here is a link to their pdf file of approved courses. We start on page 211

 Captains License, aka 6-Pack

Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels is better know as a 6-pack or captains license. This is a starting point for most mariners and ideal for fishing guides, dive operators, etc. We offer courses for Inland, Great Lakes and Near Coastal waters both as online or classroom classes.  For more information  OUPV Near Coastal

OUPV Inland/Great Lakes


Master 100 ton Upgrade Courses

If you want to operate an inspected vessel, more then 6 passengers, you need to upgrade your license (Merchant Mariner Credentials) to a Master's. The actual tonnage endorsement depends on your sea service. Our course is approved to 100 tons for Inland, Great Lakes or Near Coastal waters. For more information .. Master Upgrade to Inland Great lakes or Master upgrade to Near Coastal


If you want to change the scope of your masters fron Inland/Great Lakes to Near Coastal our change in scope course is for you. For more information ...Master change in scope to Near Coastal waters.


If you operate an inspected vessel on the Great Lakes or Tidal waters you will also have to have an FCC Marine Radio Operators Permit. For more information...  Marine Radio Operator Permit (FCC)


Endorsements for Your Captains License

There are several endorsements you may want to add to your license. If you want to commercially tow other boaters in, you need to add the Assistance Towing endorsement. This can be added to either a oupv or masters license  ... Assistant Towing Endorsement


Auxiliary Sailing for Master License is only for captains working on an inspected sailing vessels... Auxiliary Sailing Endorsement


Commercial Courses

We offer several classes for larger commercial vessels.

If you are interested in working as a rating on tugs and larger boats, we offer an able seaman with lifeboatman limited course. To learn more ....  Able Seaman, including Lifeboatman Survival exam course.

Oupv to Mate 200 ton endorsement with proper sea service you can upgrade to Master 200 tons without further examination.You can go from OUPV with one year os sea service on vessels over 67 tons to Master 200 ton with this program

  Upgrade your OUPV license to includes to Mate 200 Ton.

Mariners may have a requiremetns for updated Navigation Rules Exam. We also offer the Navigation Rules of the Road exam which meet the Q100 requirements.


Captain license Classroom classes are held in: California - Grass Valley; New York - Buffalo; Minnesota - St Paul; Wisconsin - Appleton, Milwaukee, and Sturgeon Bay. Additional sites may include Minneapolis/St. Paul, Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Hilo HI, Chicago, IL, and other cities. Call us to see if we have an upcoming class scheduled in your area, or click on the button below to see the full schedule of classes at each location.


Online classes are also available for students worldwide. Access to the course material is available 24/7. These are in the same format as our classroom classes. Students work through the material at their own pace, and are then required to sit for a proctored final exam at a location nearest to them. Upon successful passing of the exams, course completion certificate is issued and emailed to the student. 

Our friendly maritime academy staff will assist you with captains license course registration and answer any questions you may have on the different types of licenses, sea service time, license requirements, and course funding. 


"I was very impressed with the course as I have never taken an online class. Everyone I have talked to and e-mailed have been very polite and professional. I will recommend this school to the people I work with. I have been an operator of tugboats for over 30 years and found this class an eye opener to what I had forgotten."
Former Student Luther Edwards


Veterans Funding

Explorers Gude Maritime Academy has received approval by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs to offer Veteran's education benefits to qualified Veterans. Only CLASSROOM COURSES in Appleton, WI are approved for this benefit. At this time, Online captains license classes are NOT covered for VA funding.

The staff at Explorer's Guide Maritime Academy will work with you from start to finish. We can advise you on the type of license you need, answer any questions you may have on licenses and application documents, and assist you with your enrollment. Instructors work with each of their students to ensure they understand the material and are prepared for the final exams. We want you to be knowledgeable and safe boaters and successful in your careers. Just let us know how we can help.


"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
Captain Gary Kulibert - Explorer's Guide Maritime Academy